Eggs and Hashtags Please
FIVE TIPS TO MAKE YOUR HASHTAGS SIZZLE
I don’t know about your morning routine, but mine includes breakfast with a side of social media. Twitter. Facebook. Instagram. #NomNom
I’ve recently noticed more and more people are using (and misusing) hashtags across the social sphere. Hashtags are flying off the menu without proper preparation.
Overdone. Underdone. And a few just right.
There’s definitely a recipe (and it’s no secret) to serve up something savvy.
HERE ARE FIVE TIPS TO MAKE YOUR HASHTAGS SIZZLE:
1. Research. Search for a possible hashtag before you use it, for two reasons:
- See if it’s an active hashtag and determine who’s using it (a competitor?). Can you add anything substantive?
- See what comes up (is it associated with inappropriate posts?).
2. Capitalization. Make it easier on the reader by using capitalization in a multi-word hashtag. For example, when Margaret Thatcher passed away this hashtag was used without capitalization and caused confusion:
3. Original. Embrace originality. Don’t use a trending hashtag just to get exposure for your brand, especially if it’s controversial or irrelevant to your industry.
4. Memorable. Keep your hashtags short and sweet. Easy to spell = more memorable.
5. Self Control. Use hashtags in moderation. Keep your message focused by using three or less per post.
WHO'S HUNGRY FOR HASHTAGS?
Still hungry? Visit tagdef.com to discover existing hashtags and what they mean, or define your own.
Share on Social:
5 tips to make your hashtags sizzle from @JayRayAdsPR. What every social marketer should know. #RedChair #SocialMedia #SocialTips bit.ly/1LfarEE